Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Word Acknowledgement


I was reveling in the sensuous pleasures. My favorite sensuous pleasures of late seem to be tactile. There are three I have have enjoyed within 12 hours.

1. Last night while walking home from class I noticed a huge pile of Sycamore leaves, so I laid down in them. It was dark, and the leaves made a constant faint clinking sound, even when I didn't move, and they smelled like fall leaves. I could have lain there forever. It was nice.
2. Hot running water for showers. (hedonistic) I love to swim too, I feel like a slippery eel.
3. After that hot shower, having enough of a window of time to jump back into bed, naked, before having to get ready for the day. I love the feel of clean sheets and me being all clean too.

So grateful to have a healthy body to experience what my senses give me.

sensuous |ˈsen sh oōəs| adjective 1 relating to or affecting the senses rather than the intellect : the work showed a deliberate disregard of the more sensuous and immediately appealing aspects of painting. 2 attractive or gratifying physically.

USAGE The words sensual and sensuous are frequently used interchangeably to mean ‘gratifying the senses,’ esp. in a sexual sense. Strictly speaking, this goes against a traditional distinction, by which sensuous is a more neutral term, meaning ‘relating to the senses rather than the intellect’ (: swimming is a beautiful, sensuous experience), while sensual relates to gratification of the senses, esp. sexually (a sensual massage). In fact, the word sensuous is thought to have been invented by John Milton (1641) in a deliberate attempt to avoid the sexual overtones of sensual. In practice the connotations are such that it is difficult to use sensuous in Milton's sense. While traditionalists struggle to maintain a distinction, the evidence suggests that the neutral use of sensuous is rare in modern English. If a neutral use is intended, it is advisable to use alternative wording.


hedonism |ˈhēdnˌizəm| noun the pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence. • the ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life

5 comments:

Marie said...

I would submit that if we ever make the transition to 100% clean, renewable sources of electricity, that hot showers will not be inherently hedonistic. Or at least not hedonistic in a way that is damaging to anything besides your own immortal soul. Kidding, of course. Mormons are not ascetics, by golly!

I shower at night precisely because I love the clean-and-white (my lillywhite skin) meeting clean-and-white (the sheets). And the sheets stay clean much longer if you never get in them except right after showering. Also, showers make me sleepy, so if I shower in the morning I just want to go straight back to bed. No good.

apple slice said...

Water is one of my favorite feelings. I am one of those people who could have been a seal. A clean bed is a revelation. I always think how dirty can my sheets be? But, I should launder more often . . . I do wash my feet before hopping in the sack. That is a lovely feeing . . . clean feet. I like Marie. She is funny and nice. :)

Marie said...

Aw, shucks, apple slice!

rachel with redshoes on said...

I found another sensuous pleasure. There is this peppermint lotion, Avalon Organics (I get mine from Whole foods) that if you put all over your body after a nice shower, your body tingles and feels like it is on icy-fire. AMAZING!!

Marie said...

Ooooo...I think I might absolutely need some of that. I'm headed there tonight and I'll look for it.

I've kept the post-Christmas blues away the last two years with Williams Sonoma's pine-scented lotion. I don't take it out until after Christmas and I put it away strictly on Feb 28, so it won't get too familiar. Besides the pine oils it contains cinnamon, cedar, citrus, thyme, and some other stuff. It makes me so happy. It makes me feel like a wood nymph in a silent forest that is filled with fluffy snow. And there are elves under the snow baking something faintly cinnamony. Mmmmm....