Tuesday, November 11, 2008

a Tenge for your Thoughts


I was waiting at the bus stop when I looked down in the gutter, and in the water, I could see what looked like a penny, but too small in diameter, more dime size. I picked it up. It was 20 Tenge from Kazakhstan. I do think I get a lucky day when I pick up a penny, so what does 20 Tenge get me. It is worth almost 16 cents.

And as it happens I think I get a lucky day regardless of which side is facing up. I have heard some ludicrous notions that it being tails up, is an unlucky day. Heavens, I look for every portent of luck, who has so much they can cavalierly decide that a bottom up penny is poor luck. I don't think the rhyme makes the distinction. "Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck." See, it doesn't include the caveat "head side up".

I like coins and have always collected them. Currently I collect the commemorative state quarters. I of course like the ones from places I have lived, but outright, I think I like Texas, Colorado, and Alaska best. I would like Wyoming's best, but the impression is sort of shallow and I don't like that. If it were deeper then it would be my favorite. I like the ones with bold designs that aren't too busy. I sure wish Utah's was of a Bee-hive or the Delicate arch. Alas!!

I saw a shooting star the other night and I wished on it, I saw the first star on Saturday night and I wished on it. I wish on EVERYTHING!!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm no expert on Luck Laws, but I'm quite confident finding a Tenge, however oriented, is *very* good luck. Congratulations! I hope you'll remember me when you win the lottery (in which you didn't even participate! wouldn't that be the ultimate good luck? :)

Doesn't everyone wish on falling and first stars? If not, that's sad.

apple slice said...

A coin is lucky regardless of top or bottom. You are richer . . . what is poor about that? I think luck comes in question only in flipping. I always get a pit in my stomach when a decision lies only in the flipping. Talk about luck or not. I think luck is finding a sand dollar. I have never found a 4-leaf clover. Your international coin is extra special. Intrigue! Mystery! Your life is about to change.