Sunday, January 23, 2011

Get Thee Hence, Snow Devil

Sometime making new friends is instantaneous, with others it is sort of  a slow acquisitional process. Some friendship making is very deliberate. While "manning" the ReVinylize booth at the State Fair I met a girl who worked for another green company. We enjoyed chatting during the event. Then we ran into each other a month later at another green event and then we REALLY chatted. Getting right down into the details of our personal lives. We really liked each other, but since our circles only loosely overlapped, it was a friendship that would have to be deliberately cultivated. I will have to admit, she has done more to cultivate it, though I have good intentions.  She invited me to a solstice party, which had really good food and really awesome co-hosts. And then yesterday I went snowshoeing with her a a few of her friends (who also had been at the solstice party).


That is a long background story for hiking with some relative strangers. We went snowshoeing up  Iron Mountain in Park City. We started and ended our hike in a blizzard, but when we reached the crest the skies were blue and we had a beautiful view of Park City. While at the crest I saw a snow devil, the first I have ever seen. It was different than most dust devils. It had a wider base, and the snowy tendrils twisting up looked like a coronet. I think it was my favorite part of the hike. p.s. this is not a picture of MY snow devil. Mine was much more beautiful and deliberate. I found this image online, there is not a wide selection of images of snow devils. They are tentative things.

2 comments:

apple slice said...

the elusive is so cool. fun fun and new fun is fab.

Marie said...

I've never heard of snow devils! Neat! You deserve to see rare and wondrous things as you are willing to ad-venture out into the cold winterness while I sit by my space heater and eat buttered toast.