Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh Mossy, Mossy Me




LITTLE CLUMP OF MOSS
HAPLOID BRYOPHYTE SO GREEN
LOVING WATER TOO

My love of moss has been a long one. Maybe because growing up in one of the driest states in the U.S., moss is a rarity. To be seen at waterfalls and along mountain streams. It is the epitome of lush, and water richness. I love it and when studying Botany in college, I would fantasized about finding a new species of moss and naming it after myself. Vanity indeed. I wanted to name it (_______) rachelii, but sadly found out that as a girl I would have to name it (_______) racheliana.

When the name of a plant is derived from a proper name:

* the ending -ii means it was named after the male developer of a cultivar
* the ending -ae means it was named after the female developer of a cultivar
* the ending -iana means the flower name commemorates the personal name it is attached to

OH well, and how about having a mossery?

Mossery: A passing fad for moss-collecting in the late 19th century led to the establishment of mosseries in many British and American gardens. The mossery is typically constructed out of slatted wood, with a flat roof, open to the north side (maintaining shade). Samples of moss were installed in the cracks between wood slats. The whole mossery would then be regularly moistened to maintain growth.

I sort of have a mossery. I have collected moss from Olympia, WA, to put around my orchids. I noticed that it had all gone brown after a time had passed, so I started misting it every morning and night. I take better care of the moss than I do the orchids now. But I love to see the green bits growing out of the dormant brown body mass.

I dream of having my own bathroom (meaning I own it) where I can build a mossery in the shower stall (on the opposite wall from the showerhead). That way it could get lots of moisture. I would have a skylight or those glass bricks in a wall to let in some light and grow lush, green moss.

I like moss.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I love moss too (for the same reason -- exotic and luxuriously wet for a desert dweller!) but don't think I could deal with having it in the shower with me. Hardcore.

Years ago I bought one of those freestanding houseplant terrariums (little glass building with a little glass door) and tried to make a lovely Irish moss mini wonderland in there, but it got pests and I had to empty it out. I still have the terrarium, though. And I still lust after the Irish moss when I see it at the nursery.

Do you want my little glass terrarium? I would love to see it put to good use by a plant master.

Marie said...

Oh, and I went on a garden tour of downtown SLC a couple years ago and one of the really fancy gardens had stepping stones surrounded by beautiful, lush moss! I believe they said there were underground soaker hoses keeping the soil wet. Such extravagance! I hope they have low-flow showerheads in their house to make up for it.

rachel with redshoes on said...

Look, look, I added a little photo of the mossery I made for my co-worker. I made an even better one for Kendall's birthday, but forgot to take a photo before I gave it away. I have a little T-Rex in this one. RAAWR!

Marie said...

I love your mossery!