Thursday, December 17, 2009

Banquette Seating

Main Entry: ban·quette
Pronunciation: \baŋ-ˈket, ban-, 1b is also ˈbaŋ-kət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from Old Occitan banqueta, diminutive of banc bench, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English benc bench.

a) : a long upholstered bench b) : a sofa having one roll-over arm c) : a built-in usually upholstered bench along a wall

I love this lesson in etiquette. This is taken directly, or almost so, from Emily Post's book. I think this is information most of us do not know and would benefit from.

When at a restaurant with banquette seating and a long table, two people dining together are seated side by side against the wall.

At a narrower table, two diners, who might other wise be seated side by side, are seated opposite each other. The lady would be seated on the banquette with the gentleman facing her.

If there are four, the women are seated on the banquette and the men face them across the table.

In a restaurant with booths, the women go in first and sit against the far wall, facing each other across the table. The men then sit next to them on the outside.

If a woman and two men are lunching or dining, the woman takes her place first against the wall. If one of the men is related to her, he sits across from her, and the one not related sits beside her. If this grouping is reversed, the two ladies sit next to the wall, and the man who is the husband of one sits beside the other.

I think this is because the banquette seating provides the better view of the surroundings, and is usually more comfortable. On one of the worst dates of my life, the fellow (let's call him David (I think that was his name)) took me to a little Italian place in Ocean Beach (I was living in San Diego at the time). I had a nice view out of the window onto the lovely environs of O.B. I commented on this, "my having a better view than him", to which he responded, looking meaningfully into my eyes, that "actually he had the better view, because he could see me". hahahaha.... ok, had I actually fancied the fellow, then maybe, MAYBE, that wouldn't have been the cheesiest line EVER! But, only maybe. I have a low tolerance for ostentatious OR premature sentimentality.

3 comments:

Marie said...

This is a lot to remember, and I"m not sure if it would feel right to sit next to the spare man and across from my husband. Somehow sitting next to someone, even though you can't look them in the eye, seems more intimate than having a table between you. But I do like that the women always get the bench seats. Like you say, they're usually the best seats. And I'm fine having the men on the outside, dealing with the waiter. I want *them* to have to tell the waiter that my food was cold -- I'm usually too chicken.

I think you need to be nicer to Mr. David. You may have not felt sentimental toward him yet, but the fact that he came back so quickly with that (yes, cheesy) compliment probably means he already had quite a liking for YOU :)

In fact he's probably still in San Diego dreaming about you and how one day he'll scrape up enough money to come to Utah and track you down. And he will give you the bench seat until the end of time, because not only does he love you -- he is also a fan of Emily Post!

apple slice said...

Well said, Marie!

R, was this the roller coaster date? I like his line . . . he was trying to turn your head. Hee hee.

I like the banquette rules and regs. Just today I sat in a booth with my beau. I sat so close I am not sure what E. Post would think. I like to think she is a romantic and would be charmed by conjoined lovers.

rachel with redshoes on said...

Marie, I am grateful for your optimism and hope for more graciousness out of me. I do love the part in Etiquette where E.Post recommends that the man do all the ordering/dealing with staff to protect the woman from having contact with them. hahaha. I have tried to have some men order for me, but they seem disinclined to do so. SHEESH!!

Karen, Indeed! it was the roller-coaster date! What a horrid evening, and then the forced walk on fiesta island to watch Sea World fireworks. I love that you and beau were conjoined. Ahhh, romance on the banquette. I love using the right pronunciation too. I had previously sounded it in my head like the food buffet.