Saturday, December 5, 2009

I have Fancy Vivid snot*


This is a follow up from my facebook posting today. I have had a bad cold for a week and have been blowing out A LOT of snot. It got me thinking. We all know that clear snot is better than green snot, because green snot means infection. I have not had green snot, but a wide variety of clear to dark yellow.

If snot could be graded. Should we use the same system as maple syrup. Divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further broken down into three subgrades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. Grade B is darker than Grade A Dark Amber.

Or should we use the colored diamond system of Faint, Very Light, Light, Fancy Light, Fancy, Fancy Intense, Fancy Vivid, Fancy Deep, and Fancy Dark.

Mostly I just want to talk about having fancy snot and I like classification systems.

*I prefer the term snot over mucus

2 comments:

Marie said...

You are hilarious. My mom will find this especially funny because she's just like you. She is always stunned when family members are not interested in seeing the evolution in her snot over the course of a cold. I'm sure she'll love having a formal classification system :)

I'm in the middle of a cold right now and it's not a particularly horrible one in most respects except for the ridiculous quantity of snot. It's never been so bad! Constant waterfall down the back of my throat. ICK. If this is one of those Superbug viruses they've been talking about, I think we should call it the SuperSnot bug.

So you prefer "snot" to "mucus" -- how do you feel about "phlegm"? I like phlegm the best, but realize it's not an exact synonym.

rachel with redshoes on said...

ahhh, Phlegm. I forget about that one. Probably because the spelling scares me. What about sputum (phlegm expelled by coughing). Oh, I think your mom and I could discuss these delights for hours.

Yes, this cold I had was a super snotty one, day after day of blowing my nose...hence the grading system idea. I was especially proud of my nose chap stick, it kept me from getting too raw from all the blowing.