Monday, June 16, 2008

How Green Was My Valley

The title of a book/movie placed in Wales. I have lived in Wales and it is lovely, but I have never read the book nor seen the movie. Today though a group of friends went hiking up the Bonneville Shoreline trail. This veiw is overlooking City Creek Canyon. It is more green than usual due to our wetter than usual year. We were trying to look like bold explorers, but the camera-person was a little slow on the taking and everytime I thought she had taken the photo and began to move, etc. she would claim I had ruined the shot. Here I am passing my binoculars to some terribly persistant fellow. Lena and I tried to dodge him the whole hike up, but oh, boy didn't he persist. BOTHER!! Then we hurried down the mountian and went to Cucina's, a little deli in the Avenues. It was 5 minutes before closing, but they let us in. Lena got a delicious s'mores brownie (which she shared with me) and I got a little chicken penne salad as I had not had dinner yet. We then sat outside on a bench and enjoyed the summer evening. There is nothing like a summer evening to make you feel glad to be alive.




2 comments:

apple slice said...

the lighting in your picture is a golden glow. i break into the templed hills chorus in patriotism. beautiful of you and mother earth. i think you were kind to share binoculars. i hope you enjoyed cucina. is the atmosphere better than the food? it used to be the food was a wonder.

rachel with redshoes on said...

Actually, I am eager to try the place again. My penne salad needed salt, it wasn't until I was putting away my trash that I realized there was a small salt packet in the plastic utensil pouch....so sad. Food looks good, but I haven't had enough to vouch for it. Sitting outside on the bench was divine.