Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vanity oh, Vanity


After the last cake for a friend's birthday I made, I found out that one of the guests had posted an image and a statement about my domestic acumen that made me blush on their blog, and so, OF COURSE, the pressure was on for this one. I have been wanting to make an 'icebox' cake for ages, since seeing the recipe on smitten kitchen, referred by popcorn and apples. You layer chocolate wafers between whipped cream. I LOVE whipped cream. Marie wanted chocolate so I made the whipped cream chocolaty. It ended up not lovely as the image in smitten kitchen, but UGLY and mis-shapen!! I know it was my first try and I would get better, but how could I present that for my blogging friends? My vanity was at stake, so I made another batch of regular whipped cream and spread it over and around the ugly cake to make it pretty (is that make-up for cake?). I then dusted it with a little chocolate powder. Voila', a pretty cake. It tasted ok, but I preferred the crepe cake, this one was a little sweet for me.


Trish had to leave for another engagement, so Lena, Marie (birthday girl) and I walked downtown to the Gallery Stroll. I will be honest, one reason I love the gallery stroll is the art, but another, I always run into people I know, usually cousins, and that makes me feel popular. My cousina Clare did have a print up in the basement of Slow Train, a music store, it was very good. Of course saw cousins there. Same thing at the farmers market. I always see ward members and/or cousins and I like that.


I hadn't had dinner and so around 10 we ended up at Sage's, a vegan restaurant, and Brad joined us and we sat outside enjoying mushroom escargot and later our vegan dinners. I don't know how the conversation went there, but cannibalism came up. After all what is a more natural topic of conversation at a vegan restaurant? Marie and I are both perverse or practical enough, that we were fully in favor if necessity dictated. Lena and Brad were against. Oh, well.

4 comments:

apple slice said...

The pink peonies and perfection cake dome are noteworthy! This looks like a luscious cake. I have not tasted or made an icebox cake either, and don't favor the overly sweet. Cooking is experimental, creative, meaningful, artistic, loving, and practical.

apple slice said...

On cannibalism: there is a must-read section to this topic in Ahab's Wife. A summer read for those who are interested.

BTW, I would indulge as well though I would not welcome this opportunity.

rachel with redshoes on said...

As for vanity...not one mention in any of the attendees blogs regarding this spectacular cake and my hard efforts. My vanity is WOUNDED!! What, not good enough for their blogs? boo-hoo. That will teach me not to perform for the glory of another's blog.

Marie said...

The cake was delicious and beautiful. Thank you so much for spending your love and anxiety on it (sending away for special cocoa? even my own mother doesn't love me that much...) I'm sorry that I didn't mention it on my blog. I had my reason for that, and I assure you it was *not* that the evening wasn't fully delightful enough to make the cut (Rachel events are worth writing home about -- on actual paper). You made my month with your kind birthday attentions.

And I'm convinced you could even make human flesh a beautiful and tasty dish. I hope you're with me if disaster strikes. We can eat Lena and Brad layered with whipped cream.