Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Brazil- It's only a state of mind


They need to come up with a quick key symbol that will make music notes around a word so you know you are supposed to sing it, rather than speak it. Brazil. After seeing the movie I can only sing the title (similar occurrence with Don Giovanni). The movie was recommended by DW, knowing how I like dystopian sci-fi. I loved the movie. It is a wonderful commentary on bureaucracy and wasting paper, but also a love story. The kiss is so filled with passion and tension that you have time to become invested. There they are lips close, he is filled with desire to kiss her, but also trepidation, a little closer, backing up, closer, the tension is divine. I think it may be the best on-screen kiss I have ever seen, well, off screen too. I promptly ordered the movie on Amazon as well as Amelie (just because I like it too). Then I returned the movie to Netflix so that I could get my next movie, The Day the Earth Stood Still, also recommended by DW. My sister remembers taking exception to the "un-happy ending" of Brazil, but after seeing enough foreign films I have become inured to tragic endings. And I don't think the end is that tragic anyway.

Additionally I have taken every opportunity to use my new favorite word.

INCHOATE

in·cho·ate
Pronunciation: \in-ˈkō-ət, ˈin-kə-ˌwāt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin inchoatus, past participle of inchoare to start work on, perhaps from in- + cohum part of a yoke to which the beam of a plow is fitted
Date: 1534
: being only partly in existence or operation : incipient; especially : imperfectly formed or formulated : formless, incoherent.

D.H. Lawrence uses the word several times in his book Women in Love. I used it in two of my final papers this semester.

2 comments:

apple slice said...

I only wish I could respond with more than now I want to read Women in Love. This was chock full of interest for me though. Oddly, it made me channel Orwell's 1984. I think it was the movie poster. I congratulate you on viewing stimulating film.

Marie said...

First Delicatessen and now Brazil??? If I were a boy I'd ask you to marry me right this minute.