Thursday, January 21, 2010

Urban Ocean


Urban Ocean

In the early morning I wake to whale songs.
Ne, straining sounds of garbage truck.
The street leviathan’s hydraulic call.
A dorsum baleen packer blade scrapes to hopper,
feeding on plankton of lives.


True story, it has happened twice now. I wake to oceanic whale calls and it is only the garbage truck picking up the apartment complex’s rubbish.

Compare these sound bites:

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=18769
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=82325

Plankton are defined by their ecological niche rather than their phylogenetic or taxonomic classification.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Now that you mention it, there is something whale-like about the moanings of garbage trucks.

You should compile your poetic observations, print them on your letterpress printer, and bind them into little books to sell during Gallery Strolls.

apple slice said...

Yes, a chapbook. !

Street Leviathan is the best thing I've seen on FB.

Rachel said...

This is Rachel, Tink is my alias. I don't know about this Chinese posting. I can't imagine it is on purpose. Could it be automatically sent to blogs? Have you girls had anything like this on your blogs? It is a chatroom link...IN CHINESE? What part of my blog would make one think I could understand or write in Chinese? Well, I just don't know what to make of it. SOOO strange. Is it an omen because Chinese New Year is on Valentine's Day this year? I love seeing signs everywhere.

Marie said...

I think it Means whatever you want it to Mean.

Perhaps it is your Chinese secret admirer, inviting you to chat with him on Valentine's New Year.....

I've never had a link to a chat room before. Just spam invitations to have my blog address added to some list or some complete stranger saying they ADORE my blog and therefore I should come read theirs.