Saturday, September 27, 2008

Let Us All Press On


Ah, ha. I did it! Today I bought a press. A Vandercook 317 . As you can see from the photo, there is a lot of work to do. Luckily my boss at The Mandate Press finds great joy in fixing presses up and has volunteered to help me. I can't wait!! I own a press, look at me, does that make me grown up yet?


Guess what friends, that means you all have a source for custom note cards, Christmas cards, birth announcements, and invitations for the rest of your life. Isn't that cause for joy? I think so.


Not to brag, ok, it really is blatant bragging, but at the Mandate, I am known for my keen ability to mix color. This will come in handy. I won't have to buy a ton of ink colors, I can do some skillful mixing. I love ink, I love paper, I love machinery, I love my new press, the 317!

8 comments:

apple slice said...

Thrilling! Of all people, YOU should own a press. Call it fate, or poetic justice, or life in balance. Congratulations!

apple slice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
apple slice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie said...

I'm exceedingly envious, and I think this most definitely makes you an official grownup. Can I come watch you operate it once it's up and running? I too have a love for paper and ink, but not a very productive love like yours is. (And as we are oft told, love is a verb, so I guess I can't call mine love at all? Hmph.) I was a model bookbinding student, however, so maybe one day when the universe runs out of cute-but-useless blank books, I can come to the rescue... :)

Will the press live in the kitchen on your decoupaged work table? It looks big.

Rachel said...

Apple slice,

I love the new photo. It's as dreamy as you.

I can't wait to make you letterpress treats.

Rachel said...

Marie,

It is too large and weighs close to 2,000 lbs. I could never get it into my apartment. I will be working on it at The Mandate Press. After completion or they get sick of it being around, I will move it to my momma's. She has always wanted to have an artist's studio. We have a kiln, loom, etc. and now we will have a press.

Trying to find a bright side, we thought it was an automatic inking style, it isn't. but on the bright side it means when the apocolypse comes and there is no electricity, I can still print.

Marie said...

I estimate that I'll finally be getting married during the Apocalypse (roughly then, maybe a bit after), so that will work out perfectly. I'll pay you for the hand-inked wedding invitations with a few cans of my dry-pack oats and pinto beans.

I still want to come watch you work sometime. I can be very quiet.

I love that your mother has a loom and a kiln.

apple slice said...

I will clothe the man, with the loom. You are brave to have big machines. I am aiming for a staple gun by year's end.